Skip to main content
The Official Web Site of the State of South Carolina

You can file a complaint and submit applications for licensing online. Filings you do not wish to make, or that are not available, online can be submitted via mail for processing.

Department staff is available to assist with any questions at (800) 922-1594 (toll free in SC) or 803-734-4200 8:30 a.m. until 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding State holidays. You can also email general questions to

SCDCA to Represent Consumer Interest in Duke Energy Carolinas Filing; Public Hearings Scheduled

Wed, 03/27/2024

COLUMBIA, S.C. – The South Carolina Department of Consumer Affairs (SCDCA) intervened to represent the interests of consumers as the Public Service Commission (PSC) evaluates a utility rate increase request filed by Duke Energy Carolinas. The company primarily serves customers living in the Upstate, including Greenville, Spartanburg and Anderson counties.

Duke Energy Carolinas is asking the PSC to approve the rate increase in two phases, with average residential customers paying 12.9% more after August 1, 2024 and then an additional 6.5% effective August 1, 2026 (total of 19.4% over current rates). The company is seeking to increase overall revenues an average of 11.4% for two years, with an additional 4.1% added thereafter. Duke Energy Carolinas says the rise in rates will cover investments that improve the reliability, resiliency, and efficiency of its electric system.  For more information on the company's filing, click here. To view the PSC Docket, click here.

Duke Energy Carolinas customers have opportunities in April and May to be heard on the requested rate increase. All hearings will be held in-person, but customers can choose to testify virtually at the Monday, May 20th hearing. During the hearings, the PSC will hear testimony from those who pre-register first. More information on the hearings, including how to pre-register, can be found on the PSC website. Hearing dates and locations are:

Date and Time of Hearing: Location: Please Pre-Register By:

Monday, April 8, 2024 

6 p.m.

Wade Hampton High School Auditorium

100 Pine Knoll Drive

Greenville, SC 29609

Friday, April 5, 2024

Thursday, April 11, 2024

6 p.m. 

Greenwood 50 Performing Arts Center

1816 Cokesbury 

Greenwood, SC 29649

Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Tuesday, April 16, 2024

6 p.m. 

Seneca High School Auditorium

100 Bobcat Ridge

Seneca, SC 29678

Friday, April 12, 2024

Monday, April 22, 2024

6 p.m. 

Anderson County Council Chambers

101 South Main Street

Anderson, SC 29624

Friday, April 19, 2024

Tuesday, April 23, 2024

6 p.m. 

Spartanburg County Council Chambers

Spartanburg County Administration Building

366 North Church Street, Suite 100

Spartanburg, SC 29303

Friday, April 19, 2024

Thursday, April 25, 2024

6 p.m. 

Lancaster County Council Chambers

101 N. Main Street

Lancaster, SC 29720

Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Monday, May 20, 2204

5 p.m.

In-person or Virtual

101 Executive Center Drive

Columbia, SC 29210

Friday, May 17, 2024

As the consumer advocate, SCDCA can intervene in utility ratemaking before the PSC and serves to advocate for the interest of consumers, ie: those purchasing utility services for a personal, family or household purpose. As a part of SCDCA’s mission to educate the public, this information is distributed to make South Carolinians aware of this case and its potential impact on their lives.


Established in 1974, DCA has nearly fifty years of experience in protecting South Carolina consumers while recognizing those businesses that act honestly and fairly. Cultivating a marketplace comprised of well-informed consumers and businesses prevents deceptive and unfair business practices, allows legitimate business activity to flourish, resulting in the promotion of competition and a healthier economy.