Stay updated as we highlight key topics, helping you to become a more insightful consumer.
- 10 Ways to be a Savvier Consumer (PDF) -Here are some prevention tips to help you avoid ID theft
- Best Tricks for Beating Cyber Criminals (PDF) - Tricks to keep your information and money safe from cyber criminals.
- Child ID Theft (PDF) - Any age group can be affected by ID theft. Here are some ways to keep your child's personal info safe!
- Email is Not Secure! (PDF) - Email is a common form of communication and you want to be sure you're communicating safely. Here are a few tips on how to protect sensitive and personal info via email.
- ID Theft: Income Tax Fraud (PDF) - Identity thieves can use your personal information in any way that you can, including to file YOUR taxes. Take these steps to protect yourself from income tax fraud!
- Security Breach Tools (PDF) - Have you gotten notice of a security breach? Find out what action steps to take and ID theft warning signs to watch out for.
- Smartphone Safety (PDF) - Smartphones are often the weakest link in the chain of cybersecurity, making them an easy target for hackers and ID thieves. Learn the common threats to your personal information.
- Gas Prices (PDF)- Consumers can use these tips to help stretch their dollar and get the most out of a gas purchase.
- Guard Your Wallet on the Road (PDF) - The following tips will help you keep your finances safe as you travel!
- Holiday Shopping (PDF) - Follow these shopping tips to get the most from your holiday deals.
- Price Gouging (PDF) - Price gouging laws come into effect when a State of Emergency is declared. Here is what you need to do if you think you've been a victim.
- Shopping and Overspending (PDF) - When going on shopping sprees, consider these long-term effects overspending can have on your pocket and credit.
- Dating Scams (PDF) - Exercise caution when communicating with strangers on the internet. Consumers can be taken advantage of by faraway lovers that claim to be "strapped for cash."
- Phishing Scams (PDF) - Don't take the bait! Learn how to recognize and avoid bogus emails designed to get you to give up personal information.
- Phone Scams (PDF) - Phone scams can take many forms. Learn how to spot and recognize telephone scams and learn how to not be a victim.
- Real Estate Scams (PDF) - Be on the lookout for fake rental listings.
- Stop Unwanted Offers (PDF) - Tired of getting unwanted calls and junk mail? Here are some ways that you can help limit that.
- Tax Scams (PDF) - Tax Season. Scam artists make it even more difficult as they plot to separate you from your refund.
- Timeshare Scams (PDF) - Tips on what to look out for when it comes to getting or selling a timeshare.
The South Carolina Department of Consumer Affairs aims to protect consumers from inequities in the marketplace through advocacy, complaint mediation, enforcement and education. To file a complaint or get information on consumer issues, visit www.consumer.sc.gov or call toll-free, 1-800-922-1594.