Stay updated as we highlight key topics, helping you to become a more insightful consumer.
- 10 Ways to be a Savvier Consumer (PDF) -Here are some prevention tips to help you avoid ID theft
- Best Tricks for Beating Cyber Criminals (PDF) - Tricks to keep your information and money safe from cyber criminals.
- Child ID Theft (PDF) - Any age group can be affected by ID theft. Here are some ways to keep your child's personal info safe!
- Email is Not Secure! (PDF) - Email is a common form of communication and you want to be sure you're communicating safely. Here are a few tips on how to protect sensitive and personal info via email.
- ID Theft: Income Tax Fraud (PDF) - Identity thieves can use your personal information in any way that you can, including to file YOUR taxes. Take these steps to protect yourself from income tax fraud!
- Security Breach Tools (PDF) - Have you gotten notice of a security breach? Find out what action steps to take and ID theft warning signs to watch out for.
- Smartphone Safety (PDF) - Smartphones are often the weakest link in the chain of cybersecurity, making them an easy target for hackers and ID thieves. Learn the common threats to your personal information.
- Gas Prices (PDF)- Consumers can use these tips to help stretch their dollar and get the most out of a gas purchase.
- Guard Your Wallet on the Road (PDF) - The following tips will help you keep your finances safe as you travel!
- Holiday Shopping (PDF) - Follow these shopping tips to get the most from your holiday deals.
- Price Gouging (PDF) - Price gouging laws come into effect when a State of Emergency is declared. Here is what you need to do if you think you've been a victim.
- Shopping and Overspending (PDF) - When going on shopping sprees, consider these long-term effects overspending can have on your pocket and credit.
- Dating Scams (PDF) - Exercise caution when communicating with strangers on the internet. Consumers can be taken advantage of by faraway lovers that claim to be "strapped for cash."
- Phishing Scams (PDF) - Don't take the bait! Learn how to recognize and avoid bogus emails designed to get you to give up personal information.
- Phone Scams (PDF) - Phone scams can take many forms. Learn how to spot and recognize telephone scams and learn how to not be a victim.
- Real Estate Scams (PDF) - Be on the lookout for fake rental listings.
- Stop Unwanted Offers (PDF) - Tired of getting unwanted calls and junk mail? Here are some ways that you can help limit that.
- Tax Scams (PDF) - Tax Season. Scam artists make it even more difficult as they plot to separate you from your refund.
The South Carolina Department of Consumer Affairs aims to protect consumers from inequities in the marketplace through advocacy, complaint mediation, enforcement and education. To file a complaint or get information on consumer issues, visit www.consumer.sc.gov or call toll-free, 1-800-922-1594.