Skip to main content
The Official Web Site of the State of South Carolina

At this time, you can file a complaint and submit applications for licensing online.  Filings you do not wish to make, or that are not available, online should be submitted via mail for processing.  

Department staff is available to assist with any questions at (800) 922-1594 (toll free in SC) or 803-734-4200 8:30 a.m. until 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding State holidays. You can also email general questions to

For COVID-19 resources for businesses and consumers, visit the COVID-19 Resources page.

Consumer Complaints

SCDCA processes and mediates written consumer complaints, seeking to find fair solutions for the consumer and the business. We encourage consumers to contact the business first to try and resolve a complaint. If you would like to file a complaint with SCDCA, please read the following information so we can better assist you.

File a Complaint

SCDCA takes consumer complaints against businesses we regulate, refers** complaints that fall within another agency’s jurisdiction, and handles complaints against businesses that are unregulated. Your complaints help us find out about illegal business practices, enforce consumer protection laws and identify trends in the marketplace. 


(1) through DCA's Online Complaint Portal - Filing online allows our office to File your complaintreceive and process your complaint faster. In addition to having 24/7 access to your complaint, you can also correspond directly with your assigned analyst via our system. 


ATTENTION: The Complaint System will TIME OUT AFTER 30 MINUTES.    

  • Consider typing your complaint in a word processing program such as Microsoft Word or Notepad.
    Then copy and paste the text into the online complaint form; OR
  • Save and attach your written complaint to the online complaint form.
    (Be sure to write "see attached" in the comment boxes, as the system will not let you move forward if the boxes are empty.)

                                                          (2) by submitting a paper complaint form (PDF). Download, print and submit to DCA.

Do you have a complaint against a Homeowners Association?

Recent changes to state law (S.C. Code Ann. § 27-30-340) require us to collect certain data from consumers filing complaints against homeowners associations (HOA). Complete the Supplemental Questionnaire (PDF) and attach it (Don't forget to "SAVE AS" before you attach it) as a supporting document when you file your formal complaint online. We cannot process your complaint without the completed questionnaire.

Search Complaints

Search complaintsUse our "Search Complaints" tool to check the number of complaints filed against a business plus the nature and closing status of the complaints. The database contains consumer complaints received since January 1, 2014 and is for information purposes only.

Users should judge a business's complaint history primarily on the disposition of the complaints and not on the number of complaints or on the fact that a complaint was filed. Several factors, including a company’s size and volume of transactions, may affect the likelihood of a consumer complaint being filed. The number of complaints about a business may not be a reliable measure as to whether it is appropriately conducting business.

Top Referrals**

SCDCA wants to make sure your complaint is handled as quickly as possible. Checkout some of the other state agencies we often refer consumers to below.  If the industry or issue at the center of your complaint is listed, try contacting the other agency first. Filing directly with the agency may get you an answer faster. If the agency says they cannot handle your complaint, feel free to file with SCDCA and let us know who you contacted.

South Carolina Agency Name  Industries Licensed
Board of Financial Institutions Consumer Finance Division  - Mortgage Lenders and Servicers  - Payday Lenders  - Check Cashers
Dept. of Labor, Licensing and Regulation  - Contractors  - Funeral Homes  - Real Estate Brokers  -and more!
Dept. of Insurance  - Insurance Companies  - Storage Facilities  -Bondsmen  -and more!
Dept. of Health and Environmental Control

 - Health Care Facilities (includes hospitals, hospice, nursing homes and tattoo facilities) 
 - Retail Food Establishments  - Tanning Facilities (other than financial or billing-related)   - and more!

Secretary of State  - Business Filings (LLCs, Corporations)  - Charities  - Notaries 
Human Affairs Commission  - Discrimination (including in housing and employment)


You’ve filed a complaint… What happens now