Ditch the Pitch
COLUMBIA, S.C. – The South Carolina Department of Consumer Affairs (SCDCA) is releasing their second Homeowners Association (HOA) Complaint Report. The 2020 Report is a compilation of data from complaints received January 2019 through December 31, 2019. Some of the highlights include:
• SCDCA received 212 HOA complaints in 2019. This is a dramatic increase from January 1, 2014 to May 31, 2018, where SCDCA received 167 HOA complaints.
• Since SCDCA began collecting additional data on HOA complaints (June 1, 2018) the agency received 304 complaints.
• 183 consumers filed complaints against 143 HOA/Management Companies.
• Top Three Counties for Complaints: Horry (22.4%), Charleston (12.5%) and Aiken and Richland tied for third at (10.4%) each.
• The report contains information from 192 complaints as 17 were duplicates and three did not meet the statutory requirements for inclusion.
Changes to state law in 2018 require SCDCA to collect certain data from complaints involving homeowners’ associations and report it annually. The 2020 report is the first full calendar year report issued since the law passed. The report is presented in a categorized, filterable and searchable format and can be viewed in its entirety by visiting www.consumer.sc.gov and clicking on News, then Reports.
SCDCA processes and mediates consumer complaints against businesses regulated by DCA, refers complaints that fall within another agency’s jurisdiction, and mediates those complaints against businesses that are unregulated. To file a complaint, visit our website and click “How Do I…” then the “File a Complaint?” option.
The South Carolina Department of Consumer Affairs aims to protect consumers from inequities in the marketplace through advocacy, complaint mediation, enforcement and education. To file a complaint or get information on consumer issues, visit www.consumer.sc.gov or call toll-free, 1 (800) 922-1594.