Stay updated as we highlight key topics, helping you to become a more insightful consumer.
- Gas Prices (PDF)- Consumers can use these tips to help stretch their dollar and get the most out of a gas purchase.
- Holiday Shopping (PDF) - Follow these shopping tips to get the most from your holiday deals.
- Shopping and Overspending (PDF) - When going on shopping sprees, consider these long-term effects overspending can have on your pocket and credit.
- Dating Scams (PDF) - Exercise caution when communicating with strangers on the internet. Consumers can be taken advantage of by far away lovers that claim to be "strapped for cash."
- ID Theft: Income Tax Fraud (PDF) - Identity thieves can use your personal information in any way that you can, including to file YOUR taxes. Take these steps to protect yourself from income tax fraud!
- Phishing Scams (PDF) - Don't take the bait! Learn how to recognize and avoid bogus emails designed to get you to give up personal information.
- Real Estate Scams (PDF) - Be on the look out for fake rental listings.
- Stop Unwanted Offers (PDF) - Tired of getting unwanted call and junk mail? Here are some ways that you can help limit that.
- Tax Scams (PDF) - Tax Season. Scam artists make it even more difficult as they plot to separate you from your refund.
The South Carolina Department of Consumer Affairs aims to protect consumers from inequities in the marketplace through advocacy, complaint mediation, enforcement and education. To file a complaint or get information on consumer issues, visit www.consumer.sc.gov or call toll-free, 1-800-922-1594.