Stay updated as we highlight key topics, helping you to become a more insightful consumer.
- 10 Ways to be a Savvier Consumer (PDF) -Here are some prevention tips to help you avoid ID theft
- Email is Not Secure! (PDF) - Email is a common form of communication and you want to be sure you're communicating safely. Here are a few tips on how to protect sensitive and personal info via email.
- Child ID Theft (PDF) - Any age group can be affected by ID theft. Here are some ways to keep your child's personal info safe!
- Security Breach Tools (PDF) - Have you gotten notice of a security breach? Find out what action steps to take and ID theft warning signs to watch out for.
- Gas Prices (PDF)- Consumers can use these tips to help stretch their dollar and get the most out of a gas purchase.
- Holiday Shopping (PDF) - Follow these shopping tips to get the most from your holiday deals.
- Shopping and Overspending (PDF) - When going on shopping sprees, consider these long-term effects overspending can have on your pocket and credit!
- Dating Scams (PDF) - Exercise caution when communicating with strangers on the internet. Consumers can be taken advantage of by far away lovers that claim to be "strapped for cash."
- Phishing Scams (PDF) - Don't take the bait! Learn how to recognize and avoid bogus emails designed to get you to give up personal information.
- Real Estate Scams (PDF) - Be on the look out for fake rental listings.
- Stop Unwanted Offers (PDF) - Tired of getting unwanted call and junk mail? Here are some ways that you can help limit that.
The South Carolina Department of Consumer Affairs aims to protect consumers from inequities in the marketplace through advocacy, complaint mediation, enforcement and education. To file a complaint or get information on consumer issues, visit www.consumer.sc.gov or call toll-free, 1-800-922-1594.