Skip to main content
The Official Web Site of the State of South Carolina

The Department is currently working at a limited capacity onsite. You can file a complaint and submit applications for licensing online.  Filings you do not wish to make, or that are not available, online should be submitted via mail for processing.  

Department staff is available to assist with any questions at (800) 922-1594 (toll free in SC) or 803-734-4200 8:30 a.m. until 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding State holidays. You can also email general questions to

For COVID-19 resources for businesses and consumers, visit the COVID-19 Resources page.

SCDCA Petitions to Intervene in Palmetto Utilities Filing 

Tue, 01/21/2020

COLUMBIA, S.C. – The South Carolina Department of Consumer Affairs (SCDCA) petitioned to intervene in a utility rate increase request filed by Palmetto Utilities, Inc. with the Public Service Commission (PSC). The company is looking to increase monthly sewer charges for customers in Kershaw and Richland counties. 

If approved, the charge for a consumer would go from $52.10 to $66.62 per month, an almost 28% jump. The company also looks to adopt a charge for tampering with company facilities and equipment. Palmetto Utilities, Inc. says the rise in rates will cover operation system cost increases and investments in capital improvements, among other items. SCDCA’s petition can be found here. For more information on the company’s filing, click here.

The consumer advocate can intervene in utility ratemaking and serves to advocate for the interest of consumers before the PSC. The consumer advocate and SCDCA’s advocacy division was originally established in 1978 to represent consumers at large before state and federal regulatory agencies. The advocacy division also has responsibilities with property and casualty insurance and worker's compensation insurance. The division also reviews rules and regulations proposed by state and federal agencies providing comments when deemed appropriate.

The South Carolina Department of Consumer Affairs aims to protect consumers from inequities in the marketplace through advocacy, complaint mediation, enforcement and education. To file a complaint or get information on consumer issues, visit or call toll-free in SC: 1 (800) 922-1594.